Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Here We Go Again

In less than two weeks, I'll be making another attempt to finish the Triple D Winter Race. Tried this in 2009:

Post-race Moto
and 2010:

Easy Roll
but dropped out both times owing to really poor conditions. After last year's race, I mused a little about what happened.

Will be trying out a new clothing scheme. Less will be more. New ride too, fresh off the boat from Portland by way of a shop in Alaska:

Snowy 9:Zero:7
But honestly, the benefits derived from training for this event make finishing or not finishing irrelevant. I figure it's a win for me before I even cross the starting line. The first time I did it two years ago, I was an overweight marshmallow desk jockey, and sort of complacent about my health. No direction. Working toward finishing this thing has prompted me to eat better, ride more, exercise more, drop some weight, and hell, I even take a vitamin now. I'm glad I didn't finish the first couple of times. Wanting it more has made me work harder.

Not bad for a little bike race in Iowa.

7 comments:

Doug said...

Sounds like you have all the ingredients to be successfull at the Triple D this year.

Love the 9zero7! I need to figure out some fenders for my Pugsley. Is that front rack a DIY?

Michael Lemberger said...

It's the third attempt, so here's hoping!

Thanks, I really like it so far. The rear fender is a motorsports trials front fender that I got off of eBay. It's obviously not full coverage, but it works pretty darn well, considering. There's a pretty nice homemade set detailed here and here.

The front rack is a DIY of my design, intended mainly for mounting lights. Maybe I should blog that...

Doug said...

I looked through your flickr account and saw a few different angles of the front rack. I'd be interested in reading a blog post on it.

LvilleTex said...

New mount rocks! Love the positive forward progress. Seems like I need a good 2wheel goal to work towards. Gonna decide whether I can pull off a winter 200k brevet. Is that good enougg ya think? Looking forward to a successful DDD report.

MrDaveyGie said...

Yahoooo, Michael is back to blogdom. You sound ready to rock. Trails are looking good but snow is coming tonight.
Congrats on the weight loss, I've tried a few times to drop some but beer and pizza win everytime.
I'm cheering for ya.

Michael Lemberger said...

@Tex: Thanks! I think a big goal (or at least a goal you make big) is important. I say go for it. Maybe I'll try it too!

@Dave: We'll see how much blogging I do, but yes, I'm back. Thanks for all the trail reports. Good to go on the snowbike and I see you are too. I think it's going to be a good Tri D.

Yeah, the weight loss has at times been a struggle given how much I like to eat, but I also like to have a garden and most of the stuff that comes from there is good for you. Nevertheless, I still enjoys me a good beer from time to time...

Lance H Andre said...

Rocking a new body and a new bike! See ya soon. Lance