Monday, January 28, 2008

The 45-Degree Swing

It was -5°f when I rode to work last Friday morning, and 40° above this morning. Went from almost-numb toes to a good sweat in spite of a rather dramatic wardrobe adjustment. It's been snowing every two or three days, and I think the city has thrown in the towel on removing snow from the side streets and bike paths. Light rain is predicted for this afternoon and 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow. What fun.

My attic insulation project is now complete, and seems to be helping a bit. I sealed around the chimney and added fiberglass to bring the total R-value up to 57 from 39. I think anything more would take us into the land of diminishing returns. I'm also finishing the inside walls of the basement, adding an inch of foamboard, metal studs, fiberglass insulation and drywall. Hoping to finish before the Big Dummy arrives.

Speaking of cycling, I'm considering entering the Triple-D (Dubuque-Dyersville-Dubuque—think Paris-Brest-Paris, only shorter and much colder) if it happens again next year. Perhaps a nice summer might return to me my sanity.

No comments: